Since I had the 11th off, I worked on my house, repairing water-damaged soffit and fascia along one side of the garage. For the fascia I bought a piece of 5/4 x 6 pressure treated pine, since there was no 1 x 6 PT or redwood lumber at Home Depot, and I want to use something that will last.
The existing fascia has a half-inch slot routed into the back side, to hold the soffit. To create my slot, I made long cuts with my circular saw and then chiseled out the remaining material, lifting long splinters as I went.
One of those splinters decided to go under my nail, as far as it could go. It hurt.
I tried to pull it out with a pliers, and it broke off. I thought about going to a doc-in-the-box, but it was nearly 5:00 and I would have used up the remaining daylight and besides, what a wimpy thing to see a doctor for. I tried continuing my work, but it was too uncomfortable. So I gave the pliers another try. This time the splinter came right out.
Here is the board with the channel partway cleared. The line on the left is because I made my first cut on the wrong side by mistake. Putting the channel over there would have exposed a ragged part of the board instead of hiding it.
I finished installing the soffit Thursday morning because I worked an evening shift that day. Unfortunately I forgot to cut vents in the first two pieces, so I had to cut them in place after I took this photo. It was awkward, made additionally so because I had hidden all the TV cables on top of the plywood and had to be careful not to cut them.
Cutting soffit vents in place is a sawdusty business.