Handyman

Re-covering seat cushions

The chairs we bought for our breakfast table came with these hideous striped cushions. We decided to re-cover them.

IMG_20140125_201457

We bought some nice green fabric at Old-Time Pottery, unscrewed the seats (four screws each), and got to work. The fabric is simply pulled tight over the cushion and stapled under the seat board. It looks like these chairs had already been re-covered at least once. The original material was yellow.

IMG_20140125_201726

We attached the new fabric over the old. It’s best to start with the corners, at least when you have this kind of corner, which is notched for the structure of the chair. The fabric should be stretched tight so there are no wrinkles.

IMG_20140125_201832

The opposite corner is next, to ensure fabric is pulled tight over the cushion.

IMG_20140125_201916

The sides are last. If you pull the fabric tight by the corners, wrinkling and puckering is minimized. The result looks quite elegant, especially compared to the ghastly blue stripes of the previous covering. This one had a lump on the front edge from the original upholstery. We undid that corner and tightened up the old fabric so that it ended up smooth and straight.

IMG_20140125_202222

Quite an improvement, I’d say. The chair looks much more elegant.

IMG_20140125_201510

My wife will probably be upset that I’ve let you see our ugly kitchen floor with all the paint drips. Don’t worry, it will soon be torn out and replaced with ceramic tile.

 

Advertisements
Standard

15 thoughts on “Re-covering seat cushions

  1. Great improvement, but why didn’t you just take off the old fabric? I”ve recovered more than a few old seats (chair seats), and it was fun finding all the previous layers, but it was easier to staple and put them back together with just one layer.
    It’s amazing what a difference can be made with just a few dollars worth of material.

    • It wasn’t that hard working over the old fabric, and less work than prying up all those staples.

      This fabric cost $4.50 a yard. It came in a six-yard piece, so we spent about $29 and have plenty left to do the glider cushion, the piano bench, and a couple of other things. We could have done with half as much fabric.

  2. Your nails look lovely! 🙂

    Oh, wait…those are Alicia’s nails! 😀

    I love the new fabric better than the old! I think greens are peaceful. You two did a good job! Enjoy sitting on your new chairs!

    HUGS!!! 🙂

  3. Pingback: Re-covering seat cushions | SisterMae

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s