The problem with tools is they get old. I went out to the shop last night to do more work on the cedar beams, and Dad’s belt sander broke down.
My first thought was that the brushes (carbon contacts in the motor) had worn out. I opened up a port (the little round hole in the case) and saw that the brushes are fine.
So I opened the case (sorry, forgot to take pictures of that process, but it’s a simple matter of removing screws and prying the case apart), and found this. Take a look at those ball bearings.
I took a picture of the plate with the model number on it to look for parts on line.
So right now I’m chatting with a Sears parts specialist. He’s going to send me the bearings, front and back. But he doesn’t have information on how to get them off. I’ll have to keep searching.